Pages

Sunday, 5 July 2015

We're off to see the Wizard......

So the next IG swap to work on is the Broadway themed swap. I had a long list from my partner of what she liked, too much inspiration to be honest and I was struggling to pin down an idea.
A few weeks back one of my IG friends was selling some Wizard of Oz fabric which I bought as you can't get fabric like that over here. So that narrowed the parameters slightly. I was still struggling though, until Friday night when the lightbulb went off.

(Draft layout)
So why hexies? Two reasons really. I need a hand project this week as the hubby is nights so I can't get in my sewing room as much as I'd want. Also the wicked witch cursed the characters in the film and another word for a curse is a hex.

After a day of  sewing I now have the 88 hexies ready to go. I sew baste my pieces rather than glue baste. I know this is slower but I like to iron my pieces so I get nice sharp edges to sew together.


All in my basket and each fabric is marked so I don't get them mixed up.

My piecing diagram so I know what I'm doing ( well in theory)

So far so good. My only regret is that I didn't buy more fabric at the time as I don't have enough to fussy cut all the pieces. There's enough fussy cut though that you get the idea.
Right I'm off to sew now. Hopefully I can get a couple of rows together today.

9 comments:

  1. Enjoy your hexies - love the shoes! Bit wet and wild here in Cornwall hope you've got some sun in Wales!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a splendid play on words! I love the idea of hexies for the Wicked Witch of the West! I admire your organization, too -- no way would I be able to keep the hexies in order if I was working on them away from a design wall. I would be all seam rippers and foul language for sure. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Although I really don't like the movie, I do like that fabric and I think the hexie idea is perfect. I will enjoy watching this grow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your project is going to look fantastic Gina, Such a great idea, My husband works night to and I can't get in my sewing room when he is sleeping. I like to do hand sewing to so at least I get some sewing done. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love how you thought this project through. What do you do with all the quilts you make, do you sell them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't sell them, unless someone comes to me and asks me to make one specifically. I do alot of swaps where I give them away and get something ( normally another quilt) in return xxx

      Delete
  6. a really clever idea to use the hexies as the curse from the witch. The hat and shoes just set them off

    ReplyDelete

I love feedback on what I sew so would love your comments. It's a chance to make new friends. I do reply to all of you as long as you are not a no-reply xxxx