Pages

Wednesday, 14 October 2015

Meet Scraps, Spot, Patch and friends

Sew Fresh Quilts


Back in August I posted about this quilt that Lorna over at Sew Fresh Quilts had designed and that I was making my own version to take part in the corresponding Blog Hop. Well my moment of glory has come. 
Let me introduce you to Scraps, Spot, Patch and friends

Lorna gives you two sizes to play with and I decided to use the smaller one which gives you a block of  9" x 6" finished. 
I wanted mine to be controlled scrappy so I've used a variety of white backgrounds and a different colour for each pup. 
Lorna's instructions were so easy to follow. There's cutting instructions for each of the eight featured pups


Easy, clear piecing instructions 

And a blank quilt layout so you can play with designing your own pups 
I said earlier that Lorna gives instructions for eight pups. As I wanted 12 for my quilt it meant I had to design my own. It was no trouble to take elements from the ones already done to make them up. Sewing them all up was simple too. Once you've done one or two the rest flew. I think I was taking 30 mins to do the final ones. 

Anyway back to my quilt



After I'd made the 12 pups I sashed them with  Kona White. A border of a cream and a final border of Kona White. It was looking a bit stark so I appliqued some bones in the wider border using the same fabrics as were in the pups. 

I left the pups and sashing alone but quilted a tight stipple in the background of the blocks and wider border. 


Binding was a white with multi coloured dots over it. Those that know me know I love dotty binding


There are 6 ear down pups 

And 6 ear up

My quilt finished just short of 40" square. 

I don't know if you can see him in this pic but the quilt has the seal of approval from my real pup, Stan. He's in stealth mode in this pic and trying hard to blend into the background 


Here's some better pics of him, but still on the quilts on the sofa



He thinks all quilts are for him. 

I hope you liked my version of the quilt. I'm trying to decide whether to put it up on my wall or find a child/baby to gift it to as it seems to have that look of child's quilt about it. 

If you go to Lorna's blog  she's done a QAL for the pups or if you go HERE you can buy the pattern. 

If you have time please visit my fellow hoppers for today (thursday)

Rachel of Quiltineering
Julie of Mack and Mabel

Oh and I nearly forgot. As I was at a bit of a loss what to do this afternoon I quickly made up a mug rug


Goes rather well with my favourite coffee mug don't you agree



47 comments:

  1. Stan looks right at home on those quilts! I love the addition of the bones on your quilt and the mug rug is a very cute idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness....I love how your quilt turned out! Such fun colors and the bone boarder looks fantastic. What a fun little mug rug too, great paw print fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ops....Forgot to mention Stan, what a cutie on your quilts! I love seeing everyone's fur babies. He looks like he loves your quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So dog gone cute!!! The quilting is gorgeous and I absolutely love the addition of those dog bones in the borders. And that dotty binding is the perfect finish! The mug rug is really sweet, too. Great job of making that pup to coordinate with the border fabric. What beautiful projects!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Super cute quilt and mug rug!

    ReplyDelete
  6. They are gorgeous!! The scrappiness is exactly what this quilt needs!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very nice! Love all your scrappy happy pups...the real thing there looks like a sweetie too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So many sweet puppies on that quilt...love it! Your quilting looks amazing and the real pups are adorable. That mug rug is very, very cute!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your doggy quilt must be the most bright and cheerful I've seen so far, and those bones are so cute, well done!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh those bones!!! What a great addition. I really like how you've quilted this, too. Such a fun quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your quilt. It is so bright and cheerful. And that you have added bones is so great for the look. Thank you for sharing your creativity.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the dog bones - they are a fun addition in those gorgeous colours!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your gang of puppies are too cute! And I love the addition of the appliqued bones. The stippling in the back ground really brings your pooches to life. I almost missed Stan in the picture. He blends in like a champ.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love, love, LOVE your quilt!! That bone border is so cute! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. You must be a master at putting scraps together! This is awesome. Love all the colors and the added appliqued bones, just top the scales. Beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Also wanted to mention how cute your mug rug is, love the paw print fabric - careful Stan doesn't steal it for his water dish :)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THank you. Stan only likes the large quilts that he can cuddle on or under. He hasn't discovered small ones yet xx

      Delete
  17. Your projects are so cute. The bones around the large quilt are so nice.

    ReplyDelete
  18. The dog bones are the perfect addition! Just so Dog Gone Cute!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love all your bright and cheerful pups! The only thing that would make them better would be larger pics of your lovely work!

    ReplyDelete
  20. It's beautiful Gina. I love the fabrics you used and I love the quilting and of course the bones. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love the quilting and how you put bones all around. Soo cute!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your version looks great, love the outer border with the bones, plus your cute wee mugrug. I have saved all these patterns, hope I get it sewn up one day!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love your colorful pups and the great bone border! And of course, I love your handsome Stan. I think you need to keep this quilt for him!
    Pugs and kisses,
    Nancy, Romeo, Elvis and LarryPug

    ReplyDelete
  24. Gorgeous!!! I love your quilt and the beautiful colors! Your quilting, and the bones really make it pretty and playful!
    Susie

    ReplyDelete
  25. Very cute! I love the dog bones and the quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Love, love, love this. The bones are a great addition to the quilt. Stan and are mug rug are very cute. Wonderful job!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Super cute! Love those bones!!! Love your mug rug too. Great colors. Very nice quilting too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Love your finished quilt and the bones are a great touch.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Very fun, very bright puppy dog quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  30. The appliqued bones and multicolored dotty binding are perfect touches to an already super cute quilt! I want to keep every quilt that I make but I hardly ever do.

    ReplyDelete
  31. This is brilliant Gina , and you finished so quickly . I love the mug rug too

    ReplyDelete
  32. Your dogs are very cute. And awesome border.

    ReplyDelete
  33. I love your bright colorful scrappy version of Dog Gone Cute. The bone border is a really cute addition.Thanks for linking up your finish with TGIFF.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Really love you bright, fun version. The bone border is the perfect touch!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Too, too cute! Love your creative border! And the scrappiness!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Wow - I just love your finished quilt!! This is the first one I have seen with white background and it really makes the pups pop! the bones in the border are a great idea. you must be very pleased with the final result .... it's made me think about making some more with a white background ......

    ReplyDelete
  37. Love your colorful pups and the border is adorable - dotty binding is a great finish.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Wowza! I just love the bones around the perimeter of your quilt! And the use of co-ordinating fabrics for the spots and main fur are so cute!!! Really individual interpretations of Lorna's Puppies!!! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  39. How lovely puppies with so adorable border! Your quilt is fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  40. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  41. I love this! Your puppies are so sweet and they have delicious bones! I give my vote to you!

    ReplyDelete
  42. Don't know how I missed this post...love love love your quilt, Gina! And Stan. Glad you got some great shots of him. :-) That bone border rocks.

    ReplyDelete

I love feedback on what I sew so would love your comments. It's a chance to make new friends. I do reply to all of you as long as you are not a no-reply xxxx