Pages

Saturday, 31 October 2015

Sewing Room closed for Essential Maintenance

OK I'm going to be honest here. There are some horrific photos to follow, those of a nervous persuasion should look away.

Today I serviced and cleaned my sewing machine.


The tools I use are a couple of screwdrivers, a cloth, a set of cheap makeup brushes and some tweezers.

Look at all the lint build up around my light bulb and tension hooks.


And in the bobbin compartment


 You'd never believe I clean this part out every week.

Anyway after 20 minutes of brushing and tweezer work it's all clean, or is it?


You see the little man who normally services my machine once showed me something horrific.


Look what happens when I remove the base of my machine



The lint on my cutting table just fell out as I removed the base. This hasn't been cleaned for about three months.
A good 45 minutes later my machine is completely lint free.



Like a good engineer all the screws and bits are laid out so I don't lose anything. Something taught to me by my hubby who's very methodic in his work. 


She's now back together and in her home


 And, if you are sure you can cope, here's all the lint I removed from her



Now that's enough to give you nightmares this Halloween.

And the moral of the story? Your machine may not be as clean as you think. Something to wonder about if your tension is off and you don't know why.

9 comments:

  1. Great post! Thanks for the reminder to clean and also be methodical.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have the exact same machine as you and I've never removed the bottom. I'm going to go take a look! Do you ever oil your machine?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the graphic lesson :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gosh Gina . When I tried to take my mscjinr apart I couldn't get the bobbin winder back on. I didn't know I could take off the bottom , must have s look . Your basic janome looks quite sophisticated compared to my basic janome (trying to justify a new machine here !)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am afraid to take my Bernina apart! I do clean out the bobbin area and oil her every two bobbins, but I know that there is lint buildup in other areas...she's due for her spa date (Judy of Quilt Paradigm's line) this month!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oooh, now that reminds me, I must clean out my hand cranked Singer and give her a good oiling this week. Thank you for making me feel really quite ill, haha!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wait! Just 3 months? I clean my bobbin area out 2 - 3 times per week, and think my machine must be pretty clean when I take it for its annual servicing. Now I'm like: "Whoooooa" lol!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. WOW, Gina!! I have a top loading bobbin and clean out the bobbin area every 3 or 4 bobbins. . . and it always, always needs it! I use my vacuum cleaner. . . I'm hoping that is sucking out the gunk I can't get to with a brush. Your pictures have me worried!! Mine is due for her spa day(s) but I just can't be without her right now. . . I've been doing extra cleaning to make sure she gets through until I get this last commission done!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Like Sandra I have a Bernina and would not know where to start to take it apart! I clean the bobbin area out regularly and have a set of mini brushes to attach to my vacuum cleaner. They are also good for cleaning round my laptop and doing the vents underneath.xx

    ReplyDelete

I love feedback on what I sew so would love your comments. It's a chance to make new friends. I do reply to all of you as long as you are not a no-reply xxxx