Pages

Monday, 5 October 2015

Sneaking in at the last minute

So with one day to go before Adrianne closes the FAL3 finishes linky I've managed to cross another one off my list.

To be honest this swap should have been finished last week but as both myself and my partner have been under the weather we gave ourselves an extra week to finish and mail out. Luckily we are both UK based so our packages will only take a day or so to get to their destinations.

Right, the name of this swap is Bee Still my Heart and the theme is Bee's. My partner wanted a wall hanging. Her likes included Liberty fabrics and she seems to be a pink and frilly type of girl. I say girl as she's seems to be quite a bit younger than me.

I purchased a few fat eighths of Liberty as I don't have any. It's not one of my favourites to be honest and this is the first time I've knowingly used it. I decided to mix some stitchery with my patchwork and came up with


It's a stylised bee that I've stitched using a hand dyed thread in pinks through to blues. I've used mainly back stitch with some lazy daisy flowers and leaves.
I've used seed beads for the centre of the flowers on the wings and the top of the antennae. I've used slightly larger beads for eyes and on the body of the bee.
I've surrounded the bee with a hexagon of hexagons. All hand pieced and hand appliqued to a cream background.


I machine quilted a cross hatch pattern of half an inch wide on the outer portion of the quilt, I also quilted inside and outside of the hexagon wreath along side the edges.

I machine quilted a wreath of hexagons inside the appliqued ones. Unfortunately I stuffed up the placement of the applique and didn't leave quite enough room for one hexagon in the corner so I quilted a flower in it's place.


I used the remainder of some Liberty fabric for binding

It finishes roughly 16" square and will be off to its new home later this week. I've a few hexagons left over so I may use them to make a quick mug rug as an extra. See how I feel.

This is my final finish for this Quarter's FAL. The deadline is tomorrow and I can't see me finishing anything else this week

Sites I'll be linking up to can be found HERE

11 comments:

  1. yet another triumph Gina. I love bees and I love Liberty. I don't think of myself as being very girly but there's something about Liberty fabric that really draws me in. I love the flowers and colours though generally I'm not terribly flowery.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This turned out darling. The stitching is lovely and I love your quilting. The quilted flower in place of the hexagon fits perfectly with the bee theme. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, the details on your mini are fabulous! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The is so cute! I love everything you added. What a finish!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the beads, the liberty fabrics and your cross hatching....great job!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am a frilly girl too, and I love this. I think she'll "bee" thrilled with her pretty quilt. You put a lot of effort and TLC into that piece.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THank you so much. I'm really pleased how it's turned out

      Delete
  7. ooooo, I love the bead embellishing on the bee. Your partner should be very pleased.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So beautiful - love your embroidery along with the pretty Liberty fabrics!
    "Visiting as a member of the official 2015 Finish-Along cheerleading squad."

    ReplyDelete

I love feedback on what I sew so would love your comments. It's a chance to make new friends. I do reply to all of you as long as you are not a no-reply xxxx