Pages

Tuesday, 13 October 2015

Starburst

I've been pattern testing for an Instagram friend. She's slowly setting up her own pattern sales business. She'll be concentrating on paper pieced patterns and they are not for the faint hearted.

The Starburst pattern I tested comes in two sizes, 8" blocks to make a mini quilt or 4" blocks to make a table runner. I chose the 4" blocks which makes a table runner 28" x 12" before borders.

 I will admit to changing up the design slightly. The original was rectangular which I wasn't that fussed on. It also had feathered star units in the corners which I didn't think added anything to the finished design. I also added a 2" border.

As you can see from the photo this design has a lot of seams. It wasn't hard to sew just fiddly and I had to concentrate. Although there were no written instructions Melody provided two versions of working diagrams so I could see how it all fitted together. All in all it probably took me two days to put together. It's definitely not a beginner's project.

The time has now come to quilt it. I've struggled with how to quilt it but I think I've got a design I'm happy with. After drawing out the quilt many times on scrap paper and doodling I've come up with this.

 I don't know if it'll be possible because of all the seams but I've drawn it out and will be ready to make a start tomorrow.

That's it sewing wise. I will have a finish to show you on Thursday. That's my day to take part in Lorna's Dog Gone Cute  blog hop.

I'll leave you with some pics of the spectacular sunset we had here in Wales yesterday





6 comments:

  1. Gosh that is a block and a half Gina, looks great with your modifications though!

    Gorgeous sunsets too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful table runner. Cannot wait to see the quilting, it looks ambitious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm super impressed with the table runner and looking forward to seeing your doggies.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not for the faint hearted as you say . I would end up with a tangled mess . Well done

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your quilt! The bones on the border is such a great idea! Well done. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your quilt! The bones on the border is such a great idea! Well done. :)

    ReplyDelete

I love feedback on what I sew so would love your comments. It's a chance to make new friends. I do reply to all of you as long as you are not a no-reply xxxx