Pages

Friday, 11 December 2015

Fitters Wife

Finally I've finished my Gypsy Wife quilt.


As a UFO it's been a few years in the making. It's not quite as the original for quite a few reasons. Some of the blocks didn't quite turn out the size they should have due to errors in the pattern. Also I seem to have had a shortage of some blocks and a surplus of others.
This is the first time I've used a complete fabric range for a quilt. Moda's Printemps to be exact. I've used a layer cake, charm pack and jelly roll to complete it. Some of the long strips are actually pieced.

The quilting is simply matchstick quilting in a pearlised pale pink thread



 The binding is a red with white print I had in my stash. It's not part of the Printemps range but blends in quite nicely


The backing is pieced out of fabrics I will never use on the front of  quilt. They were bought in sales just to use as backings



I've named this the Fitter's Wife. My hubby is a fitter and as I've had to fit (or fudge) this together, making extra blocks/strips as necessary it seemed apt.

The million dollar question......Do I like it now it's finished? In truth, not really. I'm pleased with how it's finally turned out but now it's finished it's lost it's hold on me. Apart from the problems putting it together I've fallen out of love with the fabric. It's not my normal palette as you've probably guessed but at the time I liked the look of it. I'll probably end up donating this to use as a raffle prize for charity unless anyone I know suddenly has a baby girl.

This is one of the quilts I wanted to finish for the FAL4. Also all the other sites that I'll be linking up to are listed HERE

12 comments:

  1. So totally understand your reaction to the finished quilt - completely get it. It would be a marvelous fund raiser!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the design is very nice in this quilt. But I know what you mean about changing your mind about fabric. When I look at some of the fabric in my stash, I wonder where my mind was.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know what you mean about changing your mind about a colour palette. Yours is beautiful though. I love the texture that the matchstick quilting gives it. Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it! Have always wanted to do the pattern, but burnout on the sampler type patterns. I suggest we have an auction for all the quilts we start and finish, but make us go, 'Meh.' Btw, the backing is outstanding, imho.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A lovely finish, and the added texture from the quilting is great! It's quite an undertaking, especially given the pattern errors. I too have made this quilt, felt a bit 'over it' while making it, but now love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well my first impression was that I liked the pattern a lot! I get fabric that at one time we just "had to have" but doesn't hold the same appeal years later.....it's like anything else ...fabric goes in and out of fashion, but I have to say Gina, I like it! Kudos to your finish!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh I like how light and delicate it looks. I hope it falls back into favor with you, as you've done a lovely job on it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am here from a linky party (TGIFF). I did not have time to visit all the links, but I clicked on yours because of the colour palette - couldn't quite make out the pattern on that tiny photo. It's not my usual style either but there was a softness in that quilt that immediately appealed to me. We make stuff that we love, and sometimes, we make stuff that we don't but this quilt is lovely and somewhere, there is someone for whom this will be the perfect quilt. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this pattern! Where can I find it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really like what you ended up with here! And I, for one, love those soft colours, and wow, your matchstick quilting would have taken some serious TIME. So worth it, as I love the look of it. Yay for the binding in your stash!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well I like your finish Gina - very pretty, soft colours. Well done for sticking it out despite the problems you had. Such a shame you are not so keen on it now but then that has happened to me too! xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. I. LOVE. THIS. QUILT. I have had the same experience with falling in and out of love with a quilt. It is like a marriage I think. Keep it close, and let it comfort you. It is beyond amazing and so full of love. You will grow to cherish it if you don't just now.

    ReplyDelete

I love feedback on what I sew so would love your comments. It's a chance to make new friends. I do reply to all of you as long as you are not a no-reply xxxx