So one of this month's UFO's to finish was the Twisted Palette top. A Quilt Bee quilt dating back to 2014. I know this as I used one of the spare blocks I made as a label.
So even though I've had the cold from hell, thanks to the hubby and daughter plus my sewing machine decided it didn't want to wind any bobbins until I took it apart and gave it a talking to it's all quilted and finished.
I was lucky with this UFO as I'd already sandwiched it and stitched in the ditch. All that needed to be done was the fancy quilting.
The snowball blocks look like wreaths to me so I quilted matchstick lines between them to highlight the wreath.
In the centre of the wreath I quilted an oval with a hexagon inside a hexagon in the centre. I framed the oval and outer hexagon and fmq'd inside. I left the centre hexagon unquilted ( more on that later)
The open spaces where the 12" blocks met provided a weird star shape. I framed that going smaller. I used bubbles in the frames and fmq'd in the centre
I did a simple piano key going through all three borders and a bright stripe for the binding. You'll recognise the backing. Just goes to show much I use this fabric
Right more on those empty hexagons.
As you know I'm not a fan of large unquilted areas. I'm a quilt it to death type of girl. They were starting to bother me but I couldn't decide what to do in them.
Hubby ( AKA assistant designer) mentioned something about putting buttons or embroidery in them. Great idea. I found some large bright buttons and after an hours hand sewing.
As this is for Judy's UFO Challenge over at Patchwork Times, I'll be linking up there at the end of the month.